The Jesus Trail is a 40-mile hiking trail in the Galilee region of Israel that connects sites from the life of Jesus. The trail is marked and open to the public. We work to create hiker resources, orient and educate hikers, network and develop local businesses, and conduct PR to raise awareness about the trail. Jesus Trail interns will be integrally involved in resource development and marketing this world-class experience and exciting start-up in the field of responsible ecotourism and narrative tourism.
- Current university or graduate student, or graduated from university or graduate school within the past two years.
- Minimum BA, preferably in field of biblical studies, middle eastern studies, public relations, marketing, anthropology or environmental science
- Avid hiker and traveler, WFA or WFR certification a plus
- International experience, second language a strong plus (especially Arabic and/or Hebrew)
- Leadership experience
- Commitment to the Jesus Trail philosophy
- Strong written and oral communications skills
Additional desirable skills:
- Business administration experience
- Photography and/or videography
- Graphic design (Adobe Creative Suite)
- Web design (HTML, PHP/MySQL)
- Walking the Jesus Trail, studying the guidebook and becoming an “expert” on the Jesus Trail experience
- Orienting hikers with accurate and helpful information
- Communicating with local businesses to coordinate hiker services
- Writing regular blog updates and maintaining Jesus Trail’s social networking presence
- Coordinating Jesus Trail volunteers
- Identifying and contacting relevant opinion leaders and organizations to raise awareness about the Jesus Trail
- Interviewing hikers and writing up or videotaping short “hiker profiles” for the Jesus Trail website
- Meeting with members of the press who wish to do a story about the Jesus Trail
- Developing relationships with local artisans, fair trade co-ops and artisan food organizations to continue developing Jesus Trail as a highly ethical “green” organization
- August 20 2014 to Feb 20, 2015 (6 months)
- January 20, 2015 to July 20, 2015 (6 months)
The Jesus Trail intern will be expected to work 40 hours per week with at least two days off per week. Some travel required.
The Jesus Trail can provide a qualified intern with free basic housing in Nazareth and a monthly stipend. At this time we are not able to cover transportation to Israel or non work-related in-country transport.
Please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cover letter
- Current resume/CV
- Two writing samples
- Contact information for three references (prefer employment or academic)
- Portfolio (optional)